The 7th EU-Africa Business Forum (EABF) took place from 16th - 17th February 2022 in a hybrid format. Co-organised by the African Union Commission, the European Commission, and African business organisations and key institutions, the event brought together political and business leaders from the Africa Union (AU) and European Union (EU) with the aim of increasing opportunities for sustainable economic partnerships.
There were twelve high-level panels and numerous online workshops prior to the EABF. These workshops provided insights into the key themes of Africa-EU business, trade, and investment relations. They also drafted valuable proposals for their respective areas. The urgency of needing to respond to emerging issues like the COVID-19 pandemic and the rise of poverty consolidated a fruitful exchange of views on several issues. Discussions were held around the theme “Building stronger value chains for sustainable growth and decent jobs”. From these discussions a Joint Declaration of the Business Organisations emerged. The following are highlights from the declaration:
- EU/AU support, specifically to promote all cutting-edge intercontinental business ties with a multi stakeholder approach, is of fundamental importance for this partnership.
- More innovative financing mechanisms for the private sector are essential.
- Promoting a healthy and stable business environment favourable to private sector investment is crucial.
- Promote the integration of EU and African value chains by addressing non-tariff barriers and modernising the frameworks governing EU-African trade, considering the Pan-African Investment Code and the AfCFTA, with the goal of transitioning to a continent-to-continent free trade agreement.
- Reinforce the public private dialogue and enhance the long-term dialogue structures between African and European business organisations/associations.
- Strengthen the AU-EU bilateral relations and look forward to continuing our business-to-business and business-to-government cooperation and dialogue in the most efficient and constructive manner.
Find the complete declaration and other reports here.